13 March, 2024

Checking 'Em Off...

...one at a time, from the "projects to finish" list. "Winter Winds"* is now ready for hand finishing! ✔ I used the Swirly Snowflakes pantograph for this one, it might just be my new favorite panto; it's FUN to quilt, it was just perfect for this one too! I got the binding and the hanging sleeve made as soon as I removed it from the rails so that I would be motivated to complete it 100% without delay. I use the glue basting technique at the ironing board before I attach my binding by machine.  I've been doing this for years and have always been happy with the results. You can watch Sharon Shamber's video by clicking on the embedded link above. It's wonderful to have no pins whatsoever to contend with!
The only difficulty that I had with glue basting my binding was that someone was inconvenienced whenever I had to move his bed down below as I worked my way around! Sorry, Augie.
Quilted, bound, hanging sleeve and label all attached and ready for hand stitching. 
This is the hemmed edge of the hanging sleeve before it was attached. I turned the edges in 1/8", finger pressed, and turned it again, at less than 1/4" inch and stitched it down. Don't those edges look straight and crisp? I used a new tool, keep reading...
Clover's Fabric Folding Pen. When I was getting ready to make the sleeve I remembered this, it had been a Christmas gift that I put in my notions bin to try later. No time like the present, right? I read the instructions and gave it a try. I was amazed. As I drew the pen onto the fabric along a straight edge it made a moist line. I folded it along that line and, like magic, it behaved perfectly... straight, crisp fold! I did press it with the iron too, but I probably didn't need to. This is a great tool to have on hand! Clover NEVER disappoints! 
Another tip: if you have access to a serger, do yourself a huge favor and finish your quilt top's edges before loading your quilt for quilting. This is the second time that I've done this and I can't believe how it has improved my life! Edges are secured and stabilized as they're over-edged and your top will lie smooth and square on the quilt sandwich throughout the entire quilting, and advancing, process. Plus, it is so NEAT!
One more check ✔: working my way through last year's BOM, I knocked out block #7; this block is entitled "Hopeful". I am that, hopeful, that I'll get more of these stitched up on Saturday; it is National Quilting Day after all. Can you think of any better activity to commemorate the occasion?
Life is Good!

*The snowflake pattern shown above is called Stars and Snowflakes by Wendy Sheppard.

5 comments:

Ramona said...

Thank you for the information on the marking pen. Your snowflake quilt is so pretty. And you are right... the panto goes perfectly with your design.

Sherrill said...

Gosh! There are several Winter Winds patterns out there and I've yet to find one that looks like yours. Can you share the pattern designer's name? Love that quilt! I'm mkaing slow but steady progress on the bluebird cross stitch piece.

Janet O. said...

Your snowflake quilt and panto are the perfect combo. What a lovely finish!!

cityquilter grace said...

such pretty finishes so far....feels very good to cross of those UFOs as i well know...

Warm Quilts said...

The Swirly Snowflakes has the perfect movement for that beautiful quilt - well done!
Thank you for sharing so many wonderful tips, too!