10 November, 2016

Skill Sets

My husband can do just about anything he sets his mind to; if it's something he's never tackled before he can, and will, figure it out.  All summer and into the early fall he spent all of his spare time restoring a 1950 Farmall Super-A tractor, he learned a lot along the way. (If you asked him he would probably tell you that he learned he won't ever do that again!) It is now a parade-worthy show piece.

Just like that he's onto his next self-appointed project: finishing the stairwell into the basement. He has big plans for custom oak paneling below an integrated hand rail. When we built the house fifteen years ago pine treads were installed, temporarily; yesterday this was the sight I found when I opened the door-- the wall board has been removed below the rail and those temporary treads have disappeared half-way down, just the sub-floor remains. He's driven; suffice it to say he doesn't let any grass grow under his feet!  I can hear the table saw buzzing in the workshop below my studio as he works. I know his vision will soon be realized and the stairwell will be so pretty we won't want to ever close the door from the foyer.  In the meantime I am working on his Christmas gift behind a locked door, it is a top-secret surprise that is taking up every spare minute that I have. I am working completely out of my comfort zone, a big stretch for me, developing (hopefully) a skill that I might use again; only time and the finished product will tell. He knows I am making something for him, he's been instructed to knock and wait for a reply. This is how a dinnertime conversation between us went a few evenings ago:
Mr. G: "What are you working on?"
me: "You'll see soon enough."
Mr. G: "I never heard the sewing machine running."
me: "Am I that one-dimensional? Don't you think I can do something that's non-sewing related?"
Mr. G: "I don't know, what are you working on?"
He's good. His skill sets may be vast and varied, but getting me to slip and reveal a secret isn't in his wheelhouse; he's going to have to work on that one! I will keep my guard up though, he's determined!
Life is Good!
On this, the tenth day of November, I am grateful for opportunities to stretch 
my mind and abilities by trying new things... and, accepting the results.

5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely LOVE this post!

Janet O. said...

If your hubby runs out of projects, I know where he could keep busy. : )
Enjoyed this post.

Needled Mom said...

Those stairs are going to be gorgeous. I can't wait to see what you are working on behind closed doors.

jude's page said...

What a fantastic hubby to have, good partnership with your skills too!

Marilyn said...

That tractor is truly a work of art, and that stairway is going to be beautiful. Cant wait to see your project, how about a hint?
When I read your blog I feel at peace,it sure seems as if the two of you found the perfect mate.