10 June, 2020

Milk Money

Milk Money ~ 52" X 62"

I'm holding fast to my guiding word for 2020 (VISION) and creating quilts only from what I have on hand. This one has freed 175 rectangles from the 2.5" X 4.5" bin (they've been clamoring to escape!). The pattern, Stacked Coins, has always been one on my "to do" list. Stacked coins conjures up an early elementary school memory for me; one from back in the days when hot lunch cost twenty-five cents a day and a carton of milk was offered at three cents. We could pay it ahead for the week on Monday morning, or bring it in on a daily basis and deposit it onto the teacher's desk where she was expected to keep up with it! I can still recall the neat stack of coins on my third grade teacher's desk, dimes and nickels in neat rows. Back to the bins-- 175 rectangles seems like a lot, doesn't it? In my case, removing 175 allows me to now get the lid back on, barely. I've separated out the brights from the darks and lights and am now considering making a low-volume sister quilt (Lunch Money?) to this one.
These are the books that I've read since we instituted our hour-a-day reading time every afternoon on the porch. Actually, I'm only halfway through the last one pictured and recently finished The Invention of Wings; I loved it, I've been a very long term fan of Sue Monk Kidd from back when she was a Christian writer for Guideposts, before she became a novelist. I've always admired her writing style. 
I've got these all stacked and ready for the next few weeks to come. Along with actually reading the books I've really enjoyed sharing them with friends and family, too. This has been such a great habit to cultivate; escapism when we need it the most, it's one of the things from these stay-at-home days that I am happy to know won't go away! Have you been reading more while you've been at home?

Adapting in an upside-down world 🙃: Here's one adaptation that has cropped up to protect us during the quarantine; it's all about efficiency, and one that I seriously hope doesn't go away when the virus does-- curbside pick-up! I shopped yesterday at three different stores and never got out of the car! 
I was home in record time, too. Score!

Life is Good!

4 comments:

Ramona said...

Your stacked coin quilt looks great. If you are making a low volume quilt in the same design, that one should be Milk Money, since the color of milk is low volume. :D I've read about half of the books in your stack and enjoyed them all. Have you read "Prayers for Sale" by Sandra Dallas? I've read several by Sandra and have liked them all. Have a great day!

Ronda said...

I love your stacked coins quilt ~ of course, every quilt you've ever shown is fabulous! I have read all of the books that are in your stack, too. Another really good one from Kristen Hannah is "The Great Alone". After I read "The Nightingale", I bought all the rest of her books, and so far, haven't been disappointed. Did you know that Sue Monk Kidd has a new book called, "The Book of Longings"? It is highly rated!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Milk Money is great. and the hour a day reading time... I want to steal that! I have read a few of the books you showed - good choices!! I'll have to check into the others.

cityquilter grace said...

they look good and i've read a few...finally getting books from my library and enjoying the escape fare...and oh yes i remember those milk money days too!