08 August, 2020

Label It!

"Brother Bear" is quilted, off the rails and trimmed for finishing. My normal order of doing things, once quilting is completed, is to print out a label and make the hanging sleeve and binding; then I place the hanging sleeve and label into position and attach them at the same time that I stitch the binding on. This was the last sheet of Printed Treasures that I have on hand. I realized a few months ago that this product is no longer available, every website that I checked was out of stock and my LQS is unable to order it. I have used it for label making for many years. (I did find a lone package floating around on an E-bay site for an exorbitant price, no thanks!) I am currently researching a substitute product and, so far, have almost settled on EQ Printables. I have also found a very similar June Tailor product, I just don't know. I haven't purchased any yet and am eager to get the opinion of other quilters out there. Do you print your labels from your home printer? What do you use for your labels and how easy is the product to work with? How well does the printing hold up after washing? Please weigh in and help me out, the sheets are pricey and I don't want to make an expensive mistake. Thanks SEW much!

Life is Good!

4 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

last time i went hunting for fabric sheets for the printer, all i could find was iron on...they would still print but i didn't want the fusible part...but i bought them, ironed them on a piece of foil and the fusible came off and i could use it like fabric...not keen on the extra step...another good thing gone bad...lol

Carol K said...

I use Bonnie Hunter's method of a square folded in half and placed in the bottom corner. https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/01/label-label-label.html However, I print the label rather than hand write it. To print, I iron a 5" square of light/medium colored fabric to freezer paper and tape it to a piece of card stock -- on point and 2" from the top of the card stock. Then I use word processing software on my computer to print the text of the label on the bottom half of the square. Using the software allows me to use different fonts for the labels. I only use black permanent ink when printing so the label holds up with washing. Once the square is removed from the card stock and freezer paper, I trim it to 4.5", fold and sew into the corner like Bonnie. The square could be bigger if needed. After multiple washings, the label does dull some and is not as crisp, but I have never had a label wash out.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have used the June Tailor product for many years. I prefer the white to cream if I'm printing something where I need true color. It is probably only available in colorfast style now where in the beginning there were a couple different choices. It is hard to hand stitch through, a little stiff (but I haven't bought a package in the last 3 years so it may have changed by now) and that was why I liked the Printed Treasures better.

Janet O. said...

I am no help--I hand write my labels. Very "old school" here. :)