12 August, 2020

Gettin' Chubby

I'm getting chubby these days; well, maybe (hopefully) not me, but I'm getting chubby with my binding! "Chubby binding" is the preferred binding method of Kim Diehl and it is explained in all of her books. I spoke about it here, having used it on a quilt last month. The appearance is quite nice and the corners turn perfectly square each and every time. "Brother Bear" has been prepared with this binding for hand finishing.  
This method uses a Clover tape maker (size 25) for turning a 2" cut strip. Since this method uses a single-fold over the raw edge instead of a customary, double-fold, binding I wouldn't recommend it for any quilt that gets a lot of use. For a wall hanging or light-duty quilt, however, it's my new go-to method.  
"All American" is quilted and off the rails. It will hang on a brick wall out on the porch, it will get  its chubby binding applied this afternoon. I can't wait to get this one done and hung! 
"The Quiet Road" has been loaded and the quilting's begun. I almost talked myself out of quilting it with orange thread and considered a neutral linen color; I'm SEW glad that I didn't listen now! 😍
The Tie-Dye kit that I ordered arrived yesterday. I've never done this before but am looking forward to having fun with this along with our oldest granddaughter. Lucy Ann decided to tie-dye her quilt backing fabric, I'd better get busy and read through all the directions in preparation for our dyeing day. 
Another year, another batch of nap blankets for the Pre-K program at a local elementary school. I'm not sure how long the small quilt group of which I'm a part has been contributing 45 nap blankets (three classrooms of fifteen), but I'm guessing somewhere between seven and ten years. This years' contributions will be "held" until the Pre-Ks return in person (at least nine weeks from now) given the amended school calendar concessions for COVID-19. They've been delivered and we'll start looking ahead, the need is ongoing; it's never too early to get a head start on next year's batch. 
Life is Good! 

4 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

a wonderful cause and recurring donation....no doubt loved by one and all..

Ramona said...

Your quilting with the orange thread is beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing your All American quilt hanging... love the design. How wonderful that your quilting group has made the nap mats for so long. I'm sure the children love them.

Tanya said...

The All American is wonderful. I love the different size stars all gathered together.

NanaNor's said...

Hello, I love Kim Diehl, but haven't read her book or gotten the binding tool. However, my bindings look similar in that on the front they are somewhat narrow but chunky on the back...just like yours. You are such an incredible quilter; wish we lived near each other and you could help me.
Love the Patriotic Wall Hanging-its beautiful!
Hugs,
Noreen