27 September, 2020

A Quilted Hug

After learning the news about my dear friend (and former neighbor) who's currently going through chemotherapy for a recent lymphoma diagnosis all I could think of is "what can I do?" She lives in Oklahoma, so not only is distance a factor in feeling helpless, but my current state of worry over infecting someone with anything, (let alone a dreaded virus) when their immune system is wiped out is another, even if I still lived next door to her! I thought about her having to endure the treatments and worried about her being warm and comfortable throughout those procedures. What could I do? I quilted up the most recently completed top that I had on hand and quickly put together a matching tote bag which I personalized for her; my thinking was that this could be her "go bag", it could stay in her car and be ready whenever she needed it. I shipped it off on Wednesday. It's all that I could think of that I could do right away, I sent it along with love and prayers; I included a note and explained to her that this was a quilted hug, directly from me to her. She received it yesterday and I heard from her immediately; she began her first chemotherapy treatment on Thursday, it lasted for eight hours and will recur every three weeks. She loved the quilt but was concerned because her skin is leaching toxins out through her pores and, if she used it, that the quilt will need to be washed constantly, in hot water. I assured her there was no problem whatsoever with that, everything had been prewashed and if the quilt wore out (is there any higher praise for a quiltmaker?) over time that I would make her another! I know that she feels the love and the prayers; thank you for praying for Janis; please, keep them coming! Through tortured hours of repeated questions running on a loop within my brain: "how could I help, what could I do", God whispered directly to my heart: "send off a quilt"~  that's exactly what I did!
💗
 Isn't this why we do what we do?
💗 
We cover those that we know, and many times those we'll never meet, 
with love and quilted hugs, warming their bodies and their souls. 

Life is Good!

9 comments:

Marie said...

What a thoughtful and loving gift for your special friend. I will put her on my prayer list too.Many hugs, Marie

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yes, indeed -- this IS why we do what we do!

cityquilter grace said...

helps to avoid one from feeling helpless and such a comfort to the recipient...i did add her to prayer list...

julieQ said...

I am glad God's voice whispered to you, and even more glad that you heard! I know your friends will just love this gorgeous quilt!

Ramona said...

God does tell us where our quilts are to go at times. What a wonderful long distance hug you gave to your friend. I am praying for her.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Reading your post was exactly what I needed today.

Janet O. said...

Beautiful, Mrs. G!

Annette Dalrymple said...

What a perfect gift for your dear friend. Janis will surely feel your presence and love when she uses the bag and quilt. And she has your assurance of another quilt if this one shows wear and tear!

Tanya said...

Thank you for the update on your friend.

Lord, please make janis’ chemotherapy go as smoothly and sickness free as possible. In Jesus’ name. Amen

So clever of you to get such a comforting gift off to your friend so quickly!