30 September, 2020

September D.E.A.R.* Report

Here's the rundown for this past month; they were all good, each in their own way-- very different genres. No surprises with the Grisham novel, this one was well done, I thought. Westering Women is another historical fiction winner. I loved Beartown but I do thoroughly enjoy ice hockey and that theme runs throughout in relation to the culture and setting of this story, I'm unsure if that would be a turn-off to anyone that either disliked or didn't understand the sport, possibly.  The Wedding Quilt was a nice follow-up to The Union Quilters which I read last month; this one was of particular interest, however, in that the novel is set in the future and the historical perspectives are woven in as flashbacks. If you're a fan of Elm Creek Quilts novels, picking up one of these books is like reconnecting with old friends! I already have my books lined up for October!  *Drop Everything And Read: between politics and the pandemic some true escapism inside a good book is just what I need right now.

What's on your reading list today?

Life is Good!

6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love Jennifer C's writing style (her historical novels in particular). Do I need to start at the beginning of the Elm Creek series or can I just jump in and keep going?

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

(1) I know nothing about ice hockey and care even less; that being said, I loved every bit of Beartown.
(2) The sequel, "Us Against You," is equally compelling.

Janet O. said...

I totally agree with that last statement!! Have not read any of these, but am whittling away at my own pile of "escape" reading. :)

cityquilter grace said...

yes "guardians" and "westering women" both very good....waiting for my bookmobile visit tomorrow with 6, count 'em 6, excellent whodunits....just finished doris kearns goodwin memoir "wait til next year"...about her lifelong affair with baseball

Sherrill said...

I've read 2 of the 4--The Guardians and Bear Town and loved both of them!!

Tanya said...

Hmm. I have read some of the Elm Creek books but can’t remember if I’ve read this one yet. The others are new to me but I’ve read a couple other books by fredrik back man.