20 July, 2022

From Here to There (and Back Again...)

No, we didn't travel by helicopter, but we have only just returned from a quick visit to New England with my Mom and Dad; this trip had been planned for months. It ended up being a different kind of visit this time, as my mother was in the hospital for the duration of our time there, she suffered a compression fracture a few days before our arrival. Due to a shortage of nurses, and hospital staff in general, half of her stay was in the Emergency Department. This was my view as I waited. My husband, Dad and I alternated visits which were limited to one person at a time. I found this helicopter landing pad really quite entertaining and scary at the same time; the pad itself is just behind the wooden fence, directly behind that is the street (2 lanes) which separates the landing surface from the houses in the background! During my "waiting" time I witnessed numerous landings and takeoffs, holding my breath each time! 😲 I couldn't believe how "tight" this space appeared. By the middle of last week Mom was finally transferred to a room on a floor, out of the E.D. One thing after another led to a symptom cascade which delayed her transfer to a rehab facility until yesterday. I spoke with her this morning and she sounded good, her attitude was positive; that's over half of the battle right there. I was fearful that she would get discouraged; she wasn't happy about a plethora of things (you name it) at the time that we had to leave her to come back home. But, as of today, she sounded ready and eager to put on the back brace and get to physical therapy, we'll see. Baby steps. 
I did what I could to help Dad while staying at the house; all those things that he wouldn't necessarily think of (or want to do): cleaning the house to within an inch of its life, laundry, stocking the fridge, cooking, etc. In the afternoons more waiting time was spent sitting out in the backyard with needle and thread, that helped to keep the mind and hands occupied. 
This little painted rock was discovered on a bench outside of the hospital near the parking lot. 
Thank you to whoever leaves these great surprises that put everything all into perspective! 
What a day brightener!
This sweet photo popped up in my photo memories yesterday from exactly eight years ago. What a coincidence. Back in 2014 Mom and I took an improvisational piecing class from Lynne Tyler at Quilted Threads in Henniker, NH. We had such a wonderful day and made such great memories there! If you're so inclined, would you please lift my mother in prayer for strength and healing in the days and weeks to come? She's got an uphill climb to gain back to where she was, but we know what the power of prayer can accomplish, the more the better, one can never have too many prayers! Her name is Harriett, God knows who she is; please know that I am deeply grateful. I'll keep you posted on her progress here. 💗
Lots of passenger seat time on the drive back home yielded much progress on this piece. I still have a blossom to finish and the bottom of the finial to complete, but it's coming right along. 
These followed us home in the trunk of the car. 
You can take the girl out of New England, 
but... (you know the rest!)😉

Again, heartfelt thanks for your prayers!
Life is Good!

 


10 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

indeed i do know the rest! LOL....prayers will be offered for your mom...i know first hand how difficult it is to recoup the status quo...no doubt you were a true God send to your dear dad...i've 35 days to go...

Janet O. said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your mom! Was she able to have a kyphoplasty procedure? My Mom didn't have them with her first compression fractures, but she did get them with her next 8. You can't let too much time pass after the injury before you get them (like a few weeks), but it makes a world of difference. Pain gone!
Funny that you were working on a bird cross-stitch during this visit, and in the photo from 8 years ago you were making bird blocks in a rather similar design.

Janet O. said...

Forgot to add that she will definitely be in my prayers!

Ramona said...

I will lift your mom and dad up in prayer. Your cross stitch is beautiful and how wonderful that you had it to work on while you were waiting. Peace to you, too.

Quilting Cathy said...

I will add your mom Harriet to my prayer list. I am a NH girl, born and raised.
Left NH and been in CA for 42 years. The winters were too much for me. Love the Howards Picallily and Moxie. Cathy W

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sending all manner of positive thoughts and prayers for all of you and Harriet's continued healing. Health is something so precious . . .

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

So sorry to hear that your mom is not well, I will lift Harriet up in prayer and your dad too.

Dotti in CT said...

You got it!

Unknown said...

Ack! My husband is from Maine and his Dad brought him some Moxie...he hates it lol. I didn't even try it. You enjoy yours though!! Anne in PA

Ancestor Collector said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom’s hospitalization. Wonderful that you could be there to give her comfort and to help your Dad. Prayers for all of you as you journey through. We’re not far….let me know if there’s anything we can do to help.