09 September, 2022

A Cautionary Tale

So, I'd heard about a hardwood floor "refresher" product that claimed to restore beauty and gloss to hardwood floors. We have hardwood floors throughout our home which I've never had a problem maintaining through regular mopping and  cleaning; however, there are areas where the finish has become scratched and dull over the years from heavy use and traffic. One such area that needed attention is in my sewing room under where the ironing board normally stands. I keep the board against the cabinet wall when not in use and swing it out into the room farther when I'm standing behind it to iron, this action has caused an "arc" to be etched lightly into the finish. After ordering the hard-to-get new product (it must be that good, I thought), and waiting a very long time, it finally arrived! I read the instructions to the letter and even applied it with the recommended applicator pad, which I also purchased from the company. It went on glossy and beautiful, I hoped it wouldn't shine too much as it dried because I was only spreading it in that one section, in the middle of the room. I shouldn't have worried about that, as it dried it became apparent that it not only took care of the scratches but it took off all of the finish that had been there! I was shocked and incredibly disappointed. What to do now? Honestly, I could have spread acetone on the floor there and gotten the same result. The finish was stripped off and I was feeling ripped off. The manufacturer is covered as the small print states: "buyer assumes all responsibility for proper use, results may vary according to floor condition." So, the bottom line here, the cautionary tale, is this: "always test in a small section first, in an inconspicuous area", that's the rest of the small print at the very bottom of the label! Okey-dokey, I've learned my lesson. Two coats of polish later and another top coat of my customary, tried and true all-in-one cleaner/polish product* and the floor is beginning to look the way it should, it's coming back, thank goodness!  

Always read the fine print, my friends, always
I know that I will, from now on, that's for certain!
Life is Good!

* That tried and true product, one that I've used for years with great results, is Orange Glo. 

3 comments:

Sherrill said...

What is your tried and true all-in-one cleaner/polish product? I'd be interested in giving it a whirl (but in a small inconspicuous place first! LOL). Glad you were able to take care of the mess the wonder product caused.

Unknown said...

I also would like to know what you use to clean and polish your floor. I'm a loooong time follower of your blog but have never made a comment. Thank you for the quilting part but also for your faith.

Tanya said...

Except that the fine print ALWAYS says "at your own risk" so I'm not sure what they are "promising".