05 September, 2022

Stitching Kindness

Accepting the challenge that my small stitching group threw out there earlier this summer, last week I began setting together the blocks from Susan Ache's "Stitching Kindness" sew-along. As someone who has a deep love for all things red and white, this was an easy one for me to participate in.
The block sub-unit looks much like the Swiss flag to me! This one goes together in rows rather than blocks.
I stitched up the block sub-units and copied the embroidery designs for hand stitching this way, using a light box. 
This is how far I am as of today; I have almost all of the embroidery finished and am working totally from my red stashed scraps, the only fabric that I've bought for this one is the background setting pieces. I am using my all time favorite DMC floss: red #321. It will be SEW much fun for us to all get together later this fall to compare our finished quilts! I know that two of us are using all reds, but Quiltkeemosabe, who has an impeccable eye for color, is striking out on her own with an alternate colorway; I can't wait! The one thing that I wished I had thought to do is to have prewashed my red scraps, or at least soaked them in Retayne before I began piecing. I am considering soaking the finished top in a Retayne/water solution for color-fixing that way before I quilt it. Does anyone have any experience in using the product in that fashion? Or, would I be better off to quilt and finish it and then soak it as described? I'm really unsure how to proceed. Any and all advice is welcome!
On the other side of the studio I've loaded "Zippity Doo Dah" onto Snowbird and quilting has commenced. I've chosen "Flying Paisley" as the pantograph and am using a light silver gray thread to blend in with the chambray linen. 
This one has the very BEST BACKING fabric of all time! I had been saving this on the shelf for a long time and decided it was time to use it (I still have another 2 yards! 😉).
It's a rainy, gray Labor Day Monday here today; how are you spending your holiday? 

Life is Good!

5 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

Nice projects indeed!.....just arrived at beach after some delish fried clams of course!

Janet O. said...

Your red/white quilt is really special. I have no idea what your approach should be with the red fabrics. I have never made a red/white quilt.
"Zippity Doo Dah" is really a fun quilt, and the edge-to-edge design looks great on it!

straythreads said...

Fun quilts! I have used retayne a very long time ago when I was dying fabrics. Follow the directions and find their website.
Good luck

Quiltdivajulie said...

The person to ask about your reds is Vicki Welsh of Colorways by Vicki (blog). Vicki is a dye guru and penned the "saving my bleeding quilt" piece that is quoted far and wide.

Tanya said...

Your quilting is so pretty annd I love that backing!