02 September, 2022

Back to the Books

It's that time of year, the big yellow school buses are running and I find myself checking the clocks, once again, before I run any quick errands to avoid getting stuck behind them or in a traffic jam resulting from carpool traffic snaking its way out onto the streets around the local schools. This time of year always makes me smile and feel a bit nostalgic at the same time. Our grands are in eighth, sixth (2) and fourth grades this year! Anyway, I digress... remember those "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" essays that were assigned at the beginning of every school year? In that vein: these three books consumed my last six to eight weeks. Knighton's book: Leave Only Footprints is nonfiction and, as a National Park lover, I thoroughly enjoyed his firsthand account of his travels to them. Backman's endearing fictional characters from his native Sweden grab me and pull me in, the author is a master of character development and storytelling, I just loved these two novels. It's time for me to hit the books again and get back to the library for something new. 
What's on your bedside table right now?
Life is Good!

4 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Joe read the National Parks book and liked it a lot. I didn't know you were a Backman fan. Have you read Beartown and its sequel? The final book in the trilogy comes out in English on September 24 or maybe 27. I don't remember exactly, but Amazon will! In other news, Sam is a JUNIOR this year and has begun to consider college preferences. How did that happen? The others are in grades 9, 7, 5 and 4.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I read A Man Named Ove but I've not read the Britt-Marie one yet. Need to go see if it is on my list.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It still feels strange to me to not go back to school shopping although it has been a long time since I've had to do that. I still buy some school supplies (spiral notebooks, etc) while they are on sale but I have plenty.

cityquilter grace said...

a PD James book of short stories...great for vacation to pick up and put down as time permits...