11 October, 2022

Hannes

This is the post that I hoped to never write; a tribute to our dear canine companion of eighteen years. Hannes crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Saturday morning; before he passed, I stroked him and reminded him of all of his friends and playmates waiting to greet him when he got to the other side. Those of you who've been longtime readers here will remember that Hannes was a frequent contributor to this blog and, possibly, the most photographed pup of all time!  Hannes was our travel buddy, he traveled to forty four states with us over the years. He was my sewing room sidekick; he'd settle in contentedly, happy just to be by my side, even through marathon sewing sessions. He was well trained, worked his way up through basic obedience levels at training classes, ultimately earning the Canine Good Citizenship certificate. His love of anything containing a squeaker was only eclipsed by his affection for us, I dare say. Our house is empty today and our hearts are broken but we're buoyed by an endless supply of happy memories, his long life and all of the love that he lavished upon all of us.
If you're interested in reading one of Hannes' posts, from earlier days on this blog you can click here.

Life is Good!
🐾
...and even better with a dog... hug yours for us today. 

23 comments:

Gail N said...

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. I know what it is like to suddenly have a dog-shaped hole in your heart. On the other side of that rainbow bridge is The Best Dog Park Ever, where Hannes is now at play with our family's beloved dogs.

Kyle said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Remembering all those special and sweet moments will bring smiles to your heart.

Janet O. said...

What a sweet companion he has been for you. I know your heart is aching, and wish you comfort in your memories of the times you shared.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

So sad to read this, Debbie.

cityquilter grace said...

So sorry...know that all your loyal readers will miss his wit and insight....

UmaKathy said...

You post breaks my heart. As a dog lover, I can relate to what members of the family all of our dogs have been. I will hug our Wheaten Terrier today.

Paula, the quilter said...

I’m so sorry for your loss. He was the best companion ever.

Meredith said...

So, so sorry to hear this! Hope your wonderful memories will lighten your sorrow.

julieQ said...

OH Hannes! I am so sorry. I know you miss him terribly.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh dear friend, I feel your pain. I remember it all too well from Miss Angel's Rainbow Bridge crossing. Sending hugs of understanding.

straythreads said...

So sorry. pets enrich our lives in so many ways hugs

Debbie B said...

So sorry to hear of the passing of your dear pet. I know your pain and know he'll always have a special place in your heart.

Dee W said...

I was dreading this day also. I knew he was old, but you wish for all of them to live forever. However, he will live on in all our hearts. Hugs,

Unknown said...

You know the day will come but OH MY we're never ready for it. I loved the Hannes stories and will miss them as I also know the empty place they leave in our hearts. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Jenny said...

So sorry for you and your family. It's always so hard to lose a beloved pet. I'm sure there are plenty of sweet memories to help you get by.

Charleen said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. Hoping all of those wonderful memories will bring comfort to all of you!!

Little Penpen said...

Oh no, I am so sorry. I can feel your broken heart and it hurts so much. Hugs to you and your family. Hannes was well loved and had the bestest life with you all. <3

Sherrill said...

I am so sad for you two. I know how difficult this time is as I went through it almost 3 yrs ago with my Fang. He was 17 1/2 when he passed. You have some wonderful memories of your boy and I'm sure they will help bring you comfort and peace.

Frog Quilter said...

My heart aches for you. Pets are such an integral part of the family. I hope your memories soothe your loss. Hugs.

Robin said...

Oh I'm SO sorry!! Four years ago I had 5 elderly cats and 2 elderly dogs. I was down to only my almost-19-year-old cat when I adopted a puppy in September. So much loss, but you are right, they have many friends waiting for them on the other side. And it is my belief that they will be there to greet us when it's our turn. They're not gone.

Ancestor Collector said...

Oh, Debbie, I’ve just read this. I’m so, so sorry. Hannes was such a wonderful member of your family and he brought joy, companionship, and fun to your lives. His love for you was immeasurable and he and you were both blessed by your journey together. May you be comforted by all the sweet memories. Sending hugs!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I am so sorry for your loss Debbie. I feel like he is a dear friend of mine too as I visited him virtually over the years.

Tanya said...

I am so sorry to read this. I am one of Hannes admirers from the old days. He certainly has been a faithful friend to you and a beautiful model for your many quilts.