06 October, 2022

Chasing Squirrels

I returned to counted cross stitch within the last two years; something I never anticipated happening, something that I certainly didn't think that I had the time for, but nonetheless  it occurred! It came about as the result of a Christmas gift from Quiltkeemosabe. I blogged about this unexpected return to handwork here, a year ago. I continue to enjoy the slow pace and the rhythm of the stitching. But, isn't it funny how we endeavor to make time for the things we desire to do, those very things that we never imagined being able to squeeze into our already packed-full days?  I want to quilt, read, study the Bible, cook gourmet meals, decorate beautiful cookies, keep up with this blog, visit with my friends and family, entertain, make Chrismons, keep an immaculate house and garden, exercise regularly and create beautiful cross stitch samplers in my free time. I want to do it all! I know that this isn't realistic, I don't choose to set myself up for failure by rushing around aimlessly; doing a little of this, a little of that, and not completing anything well.  I needed to come out and admit that I'm a squirrel chaser. I can easily be distracted by that next great thing that I want to do and rush off in pursuit of it, leaving myself lost and drifting without direction. Knowing that, and admitting it, is the first (and maybe the most important) step in taking control back and focusing on what needs to be done and what's the most important task at hand. Prioritizing is one of my greatest challenges; there's always going to be a "squirrel" dashing across my path! Being cognizant of that fact has freed me up to be kinder to myself. I'm granting grace; realizing that if I to stick with one thing at a time, and see that through, those other projects will still be there awaiting their turn, when that time is right. And so, I have returned to stitching in the evenings, when there's time. Slowly, I am finishing projects and am proud of the result, taking one's time has its own rewards; I'm not ever going to be the fastest or the most prolific and that's perfectly okay. 
Quiltkeemosabe made this beautiful project bag for me. Yes, those pesky, ridiculous rodents (the bane of my existence) are peeking out through the clear front to mock me~ I love it!
This zipper pull is an added embellishment. My friend knows me well! As the next weeks and months go by, you know where I'll be. Right here, doing my level best to ignore the scampering squirrels that surround me, both the actual and the metaphorical ones. 

Life is Good!

* Colonial Blooms by The Scarlett House. Stitched on 32 count Belfast linen, called-for WDW colors.  

7 comments:

Kyle said...

We do what we love ❤️ . Enjoy.

Janet O. said...

Your dilemma is the very reason I am telling myself I can't pick up cross-stitch again. But for decades I have saved a couple of sampler patterns I had told myself I would still make "someday". So far that day hasn't come.
Your stitching is really lovely.
And your friend made the perfect bag for you.
Last week I put a sign on my sewing room door that reads "No New Starts". And I mean it. ;)

Little Penpen said...

I’m a squirrel too. That’s why my sewing room is full of projects I’ll never make. (Cross stitch included) that little bag and zipper pull are adorable!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOL -I guess this makes you an admitted member of the Ad Hoc Squirrel Club (avatar in the sidebar of my blog). I LOVE the zipper pull on your bag - adorable and awesome! Good luck managing those “pesky rodents” - you are not alone in that endeavor.

cityquilter grace said...

I am guilty as well! Lovely stitching....

Needled Mom said...

This sounds so much like me! Glad I’m in good comp company. Darling project bag.

Tanya said...

What a cute bag from a friend who knows just what you'd need and enjoy!