21 October, 2022

New Starts

My second new quilt start happened this week with yet another block-of-the-month class. This one is based on a pattern called "Cream and Sugar" by It's Sew Emma. I've decided to adopt the lower-contrast neutral palette as illustrated; I think it will be pretty and a nice way for me to experiment with value, it will be fun. One of the class participants expressed that she thought beige quilts were so "blah". I laughed to myself because I was thinking the exact opposite; I'm looking at this one more as a "palate cleanser", sometimes it's nice to create a little breathing space, color-wise. I find it to be calming and very soothing. 

Here's another new start, or maybe this could be termed a fresh start! When my MIL passed away, almost six years ago, I brought a few of her houseplants back to our home, one of them was this scraggly Christmas Cactus. It survived, over the years (albeit barely). This spring I decided to release it from it's too-small pot prison and replant it, with fresh soil, into a larger pot with room for its roots to spread and grow. The transformation in the plant's vigor and vitality has been amazing after a summer on the porch. I'm super-excited about the prospects for this one come blooming season, fingers crossed.
More new plants, new starts: out with the overgrown geraniums and in with fall Pansies. I've taken those overgrown geraniums inside, trimmed them and boxed them up, bare-root style, for wintering-over. I've done this before but it's always a concern: more crossed fingers and high hopes. We'll see!
Last week Mr. Goodneedle and I hit the road and headed for the mountains, another mental health day. The weather was great and the foliage color on our route didn't disappoint. 
We discovered this winery along the way, a great find and a completely relaxing afternoon; one that's good simply for recharging!
Here's a recent shot of our patio. The leaves aren't the only things falling! You'd need a helmet or a hardhat to sit out here lately. I thought this might be an ominous predictor of what kind of winter we're in for, but, apparently all that this profusion of acorns signifies is a substantial mast crop. Okay, we'll see. 
And sew, here we go again; new starts, new beginnings. I'm excited to see where this goes.
What new starts are your brewing up at your house?
Life is Good!

7 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Oooh, I love the beige quilt blocks. In fact, I love any "two color" quilt. Interesting take on the acorns--you may be onto something. yikes! I am a Christmas cactus killer. I have one that I sat outside all summer and truly neglected. It looks beautiful right now, so I brought it in before the frost a few days ago. I'm holding my breath to see how long it lasts.

Carolyn said...

I missed your post of Hannes passing. I'm sorry for your loss.
There are no words for comfort more than I'm sorry.

Janet O. said...

I love the look of the low volume quilts, but would struggle to make one myself. Even a 2 color quilt with more contrast has me itching to play with more color before I am halfway finished. So I admire your ability to work with the low volume all the way to the finish line! :)
Your transplanted Christmas Cactus looks very happy.
My family teases me that I run the home for orphaned plants, whether from the home of a passed away loved one, or the potted plants no one takes home after the funeral, they seem to end up with me. My MIL had 3 Christmas Cactus plants in her room at the skilled nursing facility when she passed. One went home with my BIL, and the other two came home to join the two I already had. I have been wanting to combine them all into one really good-sized pot, but no one locally seems to know what type of soil you use for a Christmas cactus. Did you use succulent soil, or just regular potting soil?
I wish you success with your bare root geraniums. That is how my Mom took care of hers, often with 3 dozen of them boxed up in her basement. She had a great survival rate. I tried it once and failed miserably.
Love the idea of your mental health day.

Ancestor Collector said...

Ooooh, I love Cream and Sugar! A lovely, calming palette. I’m making pillowcases for youngest grandson now that he has a pillow in his crib. Trucks, campers, lots of primary colors. Cute but not calming. 😆 Good luck with all your wintering-over of plants. I’ve never had much luck with that unfortunately and now that we’re away so much, our house is bare of potted plants. I’m enjoying the change of season and the lovely colors of Fall.

cityquilter grace said...

christmas cactus looking good....i had one years ago, kept in spare room out of the way where it was cool and dark at night...lo and behold it was the ideal for oodles of buds and blossoms...i still have a photo someplace...

swooze said...

Hey there! I led the Cream and Sugar quilt as a BOM 2 yeats ago. Fun quilt! I’ll send pics if you’d like to see.

Tanya said...

Wow! What a haul of acorns! I love the beige and taupe quilts that we so often see from Japanese designers. The colors blend in so well with nature.