11 August, 2023

It Takes Time

For Easter this past spring we gave our granddaughters both a "Learn to Embroider" kit. I'd seen the ads for them, they were so cute; all packaged in a darling box with the instructions, floss, a hoop, a needle and two projects: one to learn the basic stitches and a floral design. I told the girls that we'd make time and I'd help them get started. Well, time flies, as we all know, and it hasn't happened. Our youngest stopped by this past week with her kit in hand and asked if this would be a good time to work on her embroidery, she's very eager. We didn't get very far. "It takes time", I told her. 
    Today I attended a memorial service for a church member. Her granddaughter got up and spoke about the times that she spent with her Nana; not the big holidays or special trips, but the ordinary times, those everyday moments that they'd shared, those are the ones that will live on in her heart forever. That made me think. We don't need elaborate plans but simply shared time. Even if Lynnleigh doesn't take to hand embroidery or "slow stitching" as I call  it, that's not as important as simply spending time together. This might not be a lifetime skill that is being passed on as much as it's cultivating a lifetime relationship; that takes time. She's coming back this next week to spend a few days, I'm already looking forward to the ordinary, every day tasks that we can do here together; we'll be making memories as well as doing some slow stitching while sitting together at the kitchen table. I'll see to that.
This "slow stitching" took a little longer than I had planned when I called it my July project, but it's completed now. Like everything that's worthwhile, it takes time (just plain, old, ordinary time) and I'm okay with that.  
        Life is Good!

5 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

What a wonderful post. Thank you.

cityquilter grace said...

Lovely stitchery....with kids it's quantity time not quality time...my biggest regret that because I had to work my daughter got shortchanged...

Quiltdivajulie said...

I absolutely LOVE this post!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful thoughts

Tanya said...

Lynnleigh will treasure the time that you've always spent with her... and maybe she'll have an embroidery piece on top of it!