08 January, 2024

What's New?

What's new, besides the year?! I've been busy with new things, breadmaking for one. Loaves abound! As I posted before, I am baking rustic, sourdough loaves from a wild starter on a weekly basis now. Mr. G. was eager to resurrect another sourdough starter, similar to one that I had used back when our children were small. It is fed with sugar and instant mashed potato flakes and produces sweeter, more conventional loaves for slicing. I was able to get that one going too. 
Since there are just the two of us here, and we can't possibly eat this much bread; we've been gifting loaves to family, friends and neighbors and will probably continue to do so as long as I keep up the process! Another new thing, to me, is making pancake batter from the discarded starter. 
It all begins with an overnight "sponge" (above); the sponge is made with the starter, flour, sugar and buttermilk and sits out on the countertop, covered, until morning. When it's time for breakfast eggs are added, along with oil, salt and baking soda; the result is an airy, foaming, fluffy batter.
The sourdough "sponge" batter produces the lightest pancakes that I've ever made, or tasted!
Saturday of last week was spent putting Christmas decorations away for another year. Mr. G and I were able to accomplish that task together in record time this year.  Inspired by Janet O., The Rogue Quilter, I snapped some pictures of our various nativities that I've had on display. They are all from different countries and, except for the carved wooden set with the stable which we bought when we lived in Switzerland, they have been treasured gifts received throughout the years. It's always sad for me to pack them up and store them away.
A few poinsettias remain (Augie says "hi"!) as a reminder of Christmas-all-too-soon-gone, but that's about it. I've never successfully had any luck in saving them for reblooming the following year but that doesn't mean that I don't try. 😉  We'll see if this year's any different. 

That's about all that's new, for now, from around here. 
How about with you, what's new?
Life is Good!

5 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

True..sad to dismantle treasured christmas decorations....

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Just let me know what day those pancakes are on the menu and I'll be there!

Quiltdivajulie said...

DH has been bread baking here as well - Vienna loaves and a wonderful multigrain made with brown rice and cornmeal in the mix. DELICIOUS for morning toast.

Panto Pam said...

Your potato flake sourdough will make the most delicious cinnamon rolls and they freeze well fully cooked and iced. I made several batches over the Christmas holidays and shared them with friends and family. Do you make those pancakes with the potato flake starter? If so, would you please share that recipe?

Carol said...

I would like your recipe for potato flake starter if you are sharing. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your talent.
Carol