04 March, 2024

In Like A Lion?

How did your March kick-off? Did it come in like a lion? Ours was chilly and rainy but not too cold to nip the abundant daffodils who are joyfully showing off right now. I'm participating in two blocks-of-the month currently. This one, left, is part of the Barn Star class from the book by Shelley Cavanna.
My fabric choices are from the Dry-brush Essentials line by Wilmington Fabrics. I wanted my stars to look actual barn stars; I'm not following the color suggestions in the book.
The first two blocks are huge; twenty four inches square, both of these.
This is the second 2024 block-of-the month. Lemoyne Stars w/ Variations. Twelve inch blocks. So far I'm caught up and plan to stay that way or, even better, work ahead as time allows. Last year I abandoned both BOMs that I was participating in after I broke my wrist at the end of August; I had always intended to pick them back up but it didn't happen. My plan now is to work backwards and complete those too. But, the question is this: if I am working backward on those and ahead on the current blocks at the same time, am I actually making any forward progress, or standing still? 
My Winter Winds quilt is under the needle currently. I just love this pantograph!
In an effort to USE my ages-old serger I did an overedge stitch on the entire perimeter of this quilt top before loading it onto Snowbird for quilting. I can't believe what a difference this made as far as keeping the edges neat and straight! I may do this to all my tops moving forward, it really didn't take much time at all and I can already see how much cleaner binding this will be when I get to that stage. A win-win! To stay seasonally appropriate my goal is to finish this one up before the quickly-approaching first day of spring! Fingers crossed! SEW, what are your plans for this coming month?
On March 1st my parents celebrated their 72nd wedding anniversary! What a blessing. 
I found this treasure last week too, Mom and Dad leaving on their honeymoon. 
Mom says it was snowing to beat the band on that 1952 evening in Massachusetts. 💗
Although it didn't exactly greet us here with lion-like weather to begin the month
it is March and we know to expect the unexpected. 
Life is Good!

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

Oh, I really like those barn stars blocks.
And I am ashamed to admit that I have never made a traditional Lemoyne Star block. Yours look really good.
I chuckled at your question about working forward on these two BOMs, and backward on the other two from last year. We'll have to see how your year goes and determine if it was progress or not. LOL
That panto is perfect for a Winter Winds quilt. And we have had plenty of those around here lately. Sunday morning, on the way to church we saw four large trees uprooted, two large hay barns blwn down, and one other enclosed barn stripped of its roof. I think March did come in like a lion here.
Love those precious pictures of your parents. What treasures. That is a lot of years of working together!!

cityquilter grace said...

lovely soft colors on those barn quilt stars....and anniversary wishes to your parents...mine made it to 55 before my dad passed...great to see all the pretty things you are doing!

Quiltdivajulie said...

72 years married - truly remarkable! Congratulations to both of them!

straythreads said...

congrats to your parents for 72 years! Love the quilt blocks and good for you for doing your own color combinations